i create neat tunes.

ld#31 postmortem-ish

as I couldn’t find time to post anything during the development of the game, i decided to provide some initial thoughts now on the outcome of my compo entry for ld#31.

first of all, before the theme was announced i was actually planning to do a simple rhythm based game which i wanted to make some music snippets for a while. oddly enough, after i saw the theme, i suddenly came up with this ridiculous concept of people yelling at each other in an abstract environment – an online debating arena – and went for that instead. so far so good, i got this multiplayer 2d online shouter game worked out at the end.


why was it a horrible idea at start?

  • for starters, i haven’t done any real multiplayer games before and had no idea how to create and manage a non-stop running server (probably I also suck at the terminology :) ). while unity provides really useful stuff for network implementation, as i wanted all the people playing the game to join the same arena, the authoritative single server concept was still a complete mystery to me, which led me struggle tediously the whole day on setting up the connections and all without any real work done on saturday.
  • that being said, i should admit that, as my very first compo entry for ludum dare, it was yet too ambitious to go with it anyway.
  • last but not least, even when everything is set up and ready to go, it remains as a risky choice to submit a solely multiplayer game without any single player features.

what about the end result?

even though i was totally aware of all those above, obviously, i went for it anyway! :) gladly, it didn’t come out as horrible as expected at the end. i was able to actually finish the game and made it to the deadline working more or less properly, without any disastrous bugs and all. however – here comes the but part,  there were of course a few unexpected issues after the submission.

the major one was when i realised the server was crashed for some reason and not running at all after i woke up the next day. as a result, the very first people who tried the game could not run it at all. it was slightly disappointing on my side to suffer from that kind of technical issues, though, i recovered everything as much as possible the next day, and it seems like the server runs almost stable now. so, one problem down?!

the other issue was the lack of players in the server. as it’s a fairly short-breathed concept and players often come and go, there were many times people could not find anyone to play in the arena. after some point, i also tried to stay in the arena whenever i’m available to keep it live, but still it’s been so rare that more than 3-4 people played at the same time, which i’m still really curious about.

anyhow, all in all, it was quite an experience at my end, and was a really fun one too! i am frankly grateful to finally be a part of the event. also, muchly appreciate all the people who gave great feedback!


‘first game of the year’ postmortem

i have spent my weekend working – and loads of experimenting – on a game for minild#48. gladly, i was able to finish and submit my entry in time. in fact, the game makes itself to the very first game of the year for #1gam as well!


play the game

‘rubikbox’ (the game) is based around a rubik-sort of music box that plays musical sequences – in our case, drum patterns. i interpreted one of the selected themes – scheme – loosely, as a concept of patterns. the idea is to listen the playing beats and try to match them by rotating the rows of the box accordingly in each level.

being said, it is my first game that features levels. i was able to design six simple levels and a sandbox mode at the end. all in all, i suppose i declare it as a success in overall, as i’m humbly proud of the outcome.

lastly, some notes worth mentioning:

  • the game is solely rhythm-based, i.e. audio is essential to play. 
  • i’m afraid game controls doesn’t seem to be as intuitive as i thought of, so it might take some time to get used to the mechanics.
  • i didn’t really have time to optimize the code, it should (hopefully?) run smoothly on most computers though.
  • finally, i guess i got a bit experimental on the game, nonetheless, i reeally enjoyed making it! :)



i didn’t know unity3d features low-level audio processing. after reading this, however, i was delighted to see it actually seems quite possible to work on, in fact, the engine provides some cool additions when combined with its existing dsp components and all. so, why not give it a try. i have built a simple – one octave – mono synthesizer to see how it works out.

and here’s the result. asdfghjkl are for the white notes, wetyuo are for the black notes; just as are in any daw. cheers.

portable tunes


i bought this cute little thing today called mpk mini. i was digging for a new midi controller for a while, and it seemed to be a really handy one, besides being absolutely adorable. i also recorded a quick demo to test it on-the-fly. i know, it’s cheap stuff, but it was really fun to play around with its built-in arpeggiator and all.

in brief, new tunes coming right up. neat ones, promise.

it’s over.

i’m over. bye.

onegameamonth strikes back!

after last year’s somewhat failed attempt (3 out of 12), i have decided to participate in #1gam for real this year. having watched the recent keynote and all, i feel quite ambitious about it.

this time, i am eager not to give up till the end, so that, i can hopefully build up a nice catalogue of games/prototypes before i graduate. i also plan to use the website – i.e. the blog – more actively, so it alongside seems to be a proper excuse to do that.

well, it shouldn’t be that hard to begin anyway as i’m already participating in global game jam 2014 in dublin for the first entry!